The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
SENIOR EXPERT POLICY
Deadline: 8th of May 2022
Deadline: 8th of May 2022
WWF is the world's largest conservation organization, founded in 1961. We’re active in over 100 countries and have over 7700 employees. WWF Central and Eastern Europe is responsible for leading WWF’s efforts to preserve, restore and sustainably manage the natural values of the Danube-Carpathian ecoregion, which we also call the Green Heart of Europe. With a team of 160 highly specialised professionals, we are working across political borders through an ecoregional approach based on model projects, influencing policy, networking, capacity building, communication and crisis response.
WWF-Ukraine is a member of WWF-CEE covering Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. We’re primarily engaged with forests, freshwater, wildlife projects.
WWF-Ukraine is seeking to recruit a motivated and driven Senior Expert Policy to join the INSURE project team. The position reports to Conservation Manager and is based in Kyiv (other locations discussed). The position is full time, but part-time applications could be discussed. Senior Expert Policy will be hired based on time-limited contract (till 31 December 2022).
The jobholder will be responsible for:
Implementation of the climate-related project aimed at climate change adaptation, transition forestry, water management and agriculture to climate-smart model and integration of nature based solutions into the climate agenda. The position will collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, such as government representatives, NGOs etc.
Delivering and executing the assigned project(s) tasks, as outlined within the action plan:
1. Coordinate the analysis of national and international legislation on nature based climate solutions:
- Contribute the analysis of national and international legislation in cooperation with the lawyer and experts;
- Find possibilities for improvement national legislation framework to support implementation of NbS for climate change adaptation in Ukraine;
- Contribute and coordinate the preparation of high-level policy recommendations that relate to integration of nature-based climate solutions into Ukraine’s policy reform agenda.
- Prepare power map of stakeholders (key decision-makers, influencers, and partners on climate change adaptation and NBS policies and identify possible partners for delivering advocacy plans) responsible for forestry, water management, agriculture and climate change adaptation and related policy;
- Contribute to the preparation of advocacy plans and presentation of relevant communication materials on high-level policy recommendations for the key stakeholders, general public and youth;
- Provide input and participate at meetings, seminars, conferences and workshops organized by WWF, partners or other organizations, when needed.
3. Contribute to the project professionally execution and spring-board for follow-up action
- Preparation of relevant documentation in accordance with requirements of WWF and Sida;
- Preparation of procedure and coordination of small grants competition and cooperation with the CSO on this INSURE project activities;
- Participation in drafting of planning and reporting documents of the INSURE project and developing further project proposals.
- Providing support to the Conservation Manager with policy issues
- Aiding the good functioning of the organisation by contributing to planning, budgeting, communications, etc. and helping out with project activities whenever needed and possible
- Advanced qualifications and university degree in Environmental management, Environmental Policy, International relationships, Laws, Social and Political Science, or other relevant fields
- Good knowledge in environmental policy on national and international level
- Good understanding of the current political situation in Ukraine, structure and activities of the government and parliament, experience in legislative and negotiation processes
- At least 3-5 years of working experience in environmental policy or management
- Experience in international project implementation
- Work experience in non-governmental organizations and international experience is an asset
- Communicative and open, good at building networks
- Able to understand and convey complex issues in simple ways
- Good coordination, planning and organizing skills
- Ability to mitigate conflicts and find solutions
- Ability to put ideas in practice
- Proactiveness and ability to generate innovative approaches
- Diplomacy and cultural skills to work with a broad array of individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Good oral and written communications skills in both English and Ukrainian
- Ability to work well within the national and larger international WWF team, as well as independently
- Reliability, integrity, trustworthiness
- the opportunity to make a difference – for Ukrainian nature and for WWF
- challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- possibility to deep dive into the oldest and beautiful Ukrainian forests
- friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- varying tasks and independent work style
- flexible working arrangements
- a pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
- salary according to NGO standards
If you are interested in joining our team, send your CV and cover letter stating your interest in this position (in English) with reference Senior Expert Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 8 May 2022. Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates.